You should take some time to focus on exactly what you need your tax accountant to do. Here are some common situations:
- Preparing your own taxes is time-consuming, stressful, or confusing.
- You want to make sure your tax returns are accurate.
- Your tax situation is pretty complex, and you need specialized advice and tips.
- You would like to pay as little taxes as possible, and need detailed planning and advice.
- You are facing a tax problem, such as filing back taxes, paying off a tax debt, or fighting an IRS audit.
- You run a business, invest in the stock market, own rental property, or live outside the United States.